Puerto Rico Medical Defense Insurance Company (PRMD) began operations in 2005 as a mutual insurer serving the medical class in Puerto Rico. During 2009, the insurer increased its capital supported by a group of Puerto Rican investors and medical doctors.
PRMD offers the best alternative for those Doctors who recognize the importance of protecting their legacy against the real legal risk that underlies with the medical practice.
Our primary policy with limits of $ 100,000 / $ 300,000 required by Act # 4 of December 30, 1986 that creates the union (SIMED), allows the Galenos to comply with the governmental requirements to be licensed in the practice of your profession.
PRMD also subscribes to a policy in excess of the basic limits of $100,000 / $300,000
- Covering medical malpractice with several additional options:
- Ranging from $150,000 / $ 200,000 to $ 1,000,000 / $ 3,000,000.
For both policy contracts are claims-made
- No deductibles
- The cost of defense does not alter policy limits.
PRMD complies with the capital and deposit requirements of the Puerto Rico Insurance Code. The insurer has companies specialized in the medical malpractice line registered and admitted in Puerto Rico by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance. Our reinsurers Aspen Insurance UK Limited, Catlin Insurance Company Ltd and Lloyd's Syndicates, all registered and approved by the Office of the Puerto Rico Insurance Commissioner, are committed from the outset of PRMD operations by supporting the opportunity presented to the Medical class to obtain protection in the market of Puerto Rico.
Our classification company is Demotech, Inc., which measures the financial solvency of PRMD based on the stability changes as presented in the financial and situation statements.
PRMD works with several external consultants. The management of finances is essential for the development and growth of the company, as well as certifying the validity of the reports that management prepares for its Shareholders, Directors and other agencies:
- External Actuaries: David M. Shepperd, FCAS, MAA of Merlinos & Associates, Inc. Actuaries and Consultants (www.merlinosinc.com).
- Certified Public Accountants: RSM ROC and Company, Certified Public Accountants and Consultants (www.rocpr.net).
- Investment Portfolio: Herrans and Partners Merrill Lynch Wealth Management (www.wealthmanagement.ml.com).